Christopher “Lee” Starnes, 42, passed away on Tuesday, February 6, 2024 at home. He was a native of York County, South Carolina and the son of Barrie Frances Edwards and James Larry Edwards.
He is survived by his daughter, Makalah Leigh Starnes of Gastonia; grandson, Adonis Angelo Ayerdis -Spicer; mother and step father, Barrie Patterson Edwards and James Edwards of Whitsett; brothers, Matthew Brice Starnes of Winston Salem, Thomas Martin McDaniel of Kings Mountain, Blakeney James Edwards and wife, Jordan of Richmond, Virginia and Brandon William Edwards and wife Devan of St. Louis Missouri; sister, Christian Amber Robb and husband, Geoff of Richmond, Virginia; maternal grandmother, Brenda Stowe of Fort Mill, South Carolina; aunt, Chris Robbins and husband, Rob of Texas and an Uncle, Patrick Patterson and wife, Lana of Georgia and many cousins, nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his father, Jay Christopher Starnes, maternal grandfather, James Kirby Patterson, step grandfather Charles Edward Stowe and paternal grandmother, Louise Starnes.
Lee had an incredible ability to work with his hands. He loved the electrical industry that he learned and mastered over the years. He was currently working for Freedom Electric. Lee’s ability to work hard and be creative in his work and his talents were endless. He could draw you a picture, build you a table, cook you a meal or 25 pounds of shrimp when a wedding reception is imminent, and you realize that the shrimp is raw. He could install anything electrical, install hardwood or a tile floor. Over the years he probably replaced the majority of the electrical switches in every house we lived in. Lee loved the beach and fishing, and had the opportunity to live close to the beach for many years.
Lee loved his family and friends fiercely and wanted nothing less than for them to be proud of him. He especially loved his only child, Makalah and his new Grandson Adonis. He was so excited to meet Adonis and to be a good Grandpaw. Even though his time with Adonis was short, it was filled with love.
Living in this structured world was a challenge Lee faced each day of his life. Artistic and capable of so much, he felt incapable of satisfying the many who loved him and he depended on drugs to get him through hard times. Lee died from Fentanyl poisoning, not a Fentanyl overdose. There are no “safe” doses of illicit Fentanyl nor are there instructions being ignored or exceeded by the victims for illicit fentanyl products.
We believe that Lee is now at peace with our God who loves him best and understands what we could not. Rest in peace, Lee.
We will have a celebration of Lee’s life later this year during the summer. We will gather at the beach, and make his final resting place where he loved and we will be able to visit him often.
Donations in lieu of flowers can be made to Lost Voices of Fentanyl, lvof.org.